pins and entomological cases, 8 photogrtaphs taken in 2001 by the artist and his mother during a trip in the US (Washington D.C., Vermont, New York) in 2001, three elements 52x39x5cm each
The work consists of three entomological cases, containing eight family photographs. The photos were taken in 2001 by my mother and me during a trip to the United States. Many of these photos were taken at the American Museum of Natural History in New York, specifically in the Hall of Biodiversity, a permanent installation that includes hundreds of specimens. The title, The Kingdom, has a threefold meaning. It refers to taxonomic nomenclature, but it also defines the realm of imagination and the kingdom understood as territorial and/or cultural hegemony.
The Wunderkammer-style fascination of specimens, of artifacts, becomes, in the eyes of a child, a fantasy realm in which to lose oneself in a joyful reverie. This sense of happy curiosity, of discovery, parallels, looking at the photographs in retrospect, a reflection on the links between scientific, knowledge and objectification.
2023 Premio E.ART.H, Eataly Art House, verona, curated by Treti Galaxie
Subjects, places and authors:
1. Me in front of a redwood section, Hall of North American Forests, American Natural History Museum, New York, Luisa Prayer
2. Me in front of the skeleton of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, ANHM, New York, Luisa Prayer
3. Spectrum of life, Hall of Biodiversity, ANHM, New York, Paolo Bufalini
4. Butterfly Conservatory, ANHM, New York, Paolo Bufalini
5. Butterfly Conservatory, ANHM, New York, Paolo Bufalini
6. My mother and I in a hotel room, Washington, D.C., Luisa Prayer (self-timer)
7. Me in front of the Spectrum of life, Hall of Biodiversity, ANHM, New York, Luisa Prayer
8. Me in bed, in the house where my mother and I were guests, Vermont, Luisa Prayer
Ph: Manuel Montesano